Posted by: Aubrey Richter on June 28, 2023 at 2:16 pm
Should you restrict internet access for your employees?
With the internet we seem to have everything available right at our fingertips. That being said, it’s important for employers to be able to control what websites their employees can access. This is especially true for businesses that handle sensitive data or have a policy against social media use during work hours. One way to accomplish this is DNS filtering.
What is it?
DNS filtering is a technology that allows you to block access to certain websites. In addition to blocking websites, it can also be used to collect data about the sites that your employees visit. This data can be used to track productivity, identify security threats, and enforce compliance with company policies.
If you are looking for a way to keep your employees from accessing certain websites, it’s a great option. It’s easy to set up and use, and it can be very effective at blocking access to inappropriate or unproductive content. It works by redirecting their DNS requests to a server that does not resolve them. This means that even if an employee tries to access a blocked website, they wont be able to because their computer wont be able to find it.
There are a number of different DNS filtering solutions available, both free and paid. Some of the most popular options include OpenDNS, and Cisco Umbrella. To set it up, you will need to configure your DNS server to point to the DNS filtering service. Once you’ve done this, all of the computers on your network will be blocked from accessing the websites that you have specified. TAZ Networks can help you accomplish that, without having to do all the techy work yourself.
Let’s recap the benefits:
- Increased productivity: By blocking access to unproductive websites, DNS filtering can help your employees stay focused on their work.
- Improved security: DNS filtering can help to protect your network from malware and other security threats.
- Increased compliance: By blocking access to websites that violate company policies, DNS filtering can help you to ensure that your employees are compliant with your regulations.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Make sure that the solution you choose is compatible with your network.
- Consider the level of control that you need. Some solutions allow you to block individual websites, while others allow you to block entire categories of websites.
- Be aware of the potential privacy implications. When you use DNS filtering, your employer will be able to see the websites that you visit.
Overall, DNS filtering is a powerful tool that can help you to keep your employees safe and productive. If you are looking for a way to restrict internet access for your employees, DNS filtering is a great option to consider. Contact us today to see how we can help you protect your employees.